Safe UVC Operation
UVC light can safely be used in the home by following a few simple precautions:
- Do not look directly at the UV-C LED bulbs when turned on.
- Do not point UV light at living things, including your skin.
- Do not hold objects whilst you disinfect them.
Put them down before you turn on the ultraviolet sanitizing wand.
- Do not put anything alive in a UV lightbox.
What Could Happen?
Remember that UVC light is a form of radiation. Ultraviolet germicidal irradiation is effective at killing microorganisms precisely because it breaks through an organism on a cellular level. Because of this, unintended exposure to UVC light can result in damage to your cells.
|Short accidental exposure||Can lead to painful injuries called photokeratitis and photoconjunctivitis because the eye’s outermost cornea and conjunctiva absorb UVC radiation.||Can lead to erythema in human skin - a reddening, similar to a sunburn. Can lead to ulceration of the skin with longer exposure.|
|Repeated chronic exposure||Can lead to cataracts.||Can cause premature aging of the skin and skin cancer.|
Unlike fire, which is hot to the touch and produces a natural avoidance response, exposure to UVC light is painless (at first). Over-exposure to the eyes or skin typically appears in 4-12 hours. While the effects of short term exposure can be uncomfortable, they typically resolve in a few days but may require medical attention.
- See an ophthalmologist if eye damage is suspected.
- If skin lesions develop, treat immediately.
Our Commitment to Safety
At Modern Hygiene Solutions, we have selected UV cleaning products that are specifically designed to prevent exposure to humans or animals.
- Our UVC cell phone cleaner products are enclosed. If the UVC lightbox is opened during a cycle, it will shut off immediately and will not turn back on until the lid is closed and a new cycle is initiated.
- Our portable UV sanitizer wand will immediately shut off when tipped up, to prevent accidental exposure to the eyes.
- Our handheld UV light sterilization wand has a childproof lock to prevent it from being turned on accidentally by someone who is not authorized to use it.
Ultraviolet germicidal irradiation is a scientifically proven way to clean your home, electronics and life. As long as you follow these simple guidelines, it’s a safe and fast alternative to chemical disinfection.
If you have any questions about using Modern Hygiene’s UVC light disinfection products, either before or after you make a purchase, please don’t hesitate to contact us. You can email us at email@example.com or use the chatbot in the bottom right corner of every page.